Another reason to go all-electric: deadly carbon monoxide gas. Here’s a video from Carl Seville, the Green Curmudgeon, demonstrating the dangers of gas water heaters. The theatrical smoke represents deadly carbon monoxide. When a kitchen exhaust fan is turned on upstairs, a negative pressure is created which pulls air from the water heater’s gas exhaust vent. The back drafting reverses the flow and poisonous carbon monoxide comes into the home rather than exhausting outside. During 1999–2010, a total of 5,149 deaths from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning occurred in the United States, an average of 430 deaths per year, according to the CDC.
Learn about safer, healthier homes http://www.HappyHome.HOW